Thursday 14 June 2007

What is your future "engineering plan "??

My days at the moment are very very boring and since I only sleep, eat or watch TV all day long, I have decided not to write anything about my day today. I was just wondering about this incident which took place at school once . It wasnt much of a big deal and some of the readers may think that I am actually making a big fuss over nothing. Any how, here it goes.

So, my final exams of the 12th grade got over ( AISSCE, CBSE exams. It comes under an Indian board for those of you who dont know) and I decided to visit school for some reason. I think Shaeq wanted a cd filled with pictures taken during hangouts and school hours. So anyways, we went to school and i gave him his required things. But we still had to wait there for 4 more hours since the KG busses left at 12 PM and that was our only transport back home. So one by one we met all the teachers and all of them asked us the usual question, " Which entrance exam are you coaching for ?'" Shaeq and the other few guys who were there with me had a ready answer. Some of them said AIEEE, and others mentioned some different engineering entrance exams. And when my turn came all I could do was to give a worried smile and reply " sir , I am not going for engineering". The immediate response that came from most of the teachers was this " So , are you trying for medical then ?". Once again that smile crept upon my face and I replied " No, I am going for mass communications" and then comes the funniest part, the shocking look on almost every teachers face as if to say " What ? Mass communications ? What in God's name is that ? "

Not that I have anything against engineers or students studying dental. I mean, hey you guys form an amazing part of the community, hats off to you people! But unfortunately or fortunately my mind was never fit to be in the technical side of life. I could have gone for engineering and maybe even get a good job in the future with a very high salary , that is of course after hard work. But I dont want to waste another 4 years or so studying something which I really am not interested in.


Now many of you who arent in the Asian or South Asian community may be confused as to why I am making such a big deal out of this. Well let me just state a small example which supports my cause. My school is called International Indian School of Dammam , IISD in short. We have a huge population of around 13 thousand students studying there. out of which approximately 300 students graduated this year. And I think we had around 200 students who were in the science section alone ! This small observation shows us all how demanding, subjects like engineering and medical are. Almost every parent dreams that one day their child is going to be an engineer or a doctor. So from the above it is quite obvious as to why my teachers gave me " the look" when i told them that I wasnt going to go for either of those two subjects. And this also made my decision to go study Mass communications a very difficult one. I always loved writing , speaking , communicating with people, coming out with creative ideas , making videos etc. and all this clearly showed me my way. I was just scared that my dad wouldnt agree, but at the end he did and I was delighted at his response !

Hey once again, I have nnoooothing against Engineers or doctors, they save lives man how can I have anything against them ? The only thing that saddens me is that when parents say that I want my son to be an engineer , a doctor ! Why not a mainstream journalist or a director or maybe even a writer !

Many of you may be confused with my title today " What is your future engineering plan?" Well one of my teachers asked the same question once and I found his assumption very funny.
So, after a lot of thinking and persuation I have chosen my subject and my path. I just hope that I have done the right thing and chosen the correct path and I also pray to God for his help.

As a wise person had once said " Team work is what we need" and this quotation really does suit my post today. For the world to run , we need an equal number of engineers, doctors, journalists, reporters etc. and that my friend is teamwork !

So I sincerely hope that my post today does not offend any one and I also hope that no teachers or anybody for that matter, asks such a question first up to any student planning to pursue their higher education.

Cheers

Naim.

7 comments:

Antony K said...

Hardcore. yeah.

Greys of Matter said...

aparna78really gud one naimul...everybody has to get outta da science-world one day or the other...and u have chosen an equally challenging field....so hats off to u too!!
-aparna

A Forbidden Affair said...

lol elin...the skool bit is funny...keep bloggin :D good work

Unknown said...

reminded me of the same situation.....5 years ago!!!

emran

Ann.... said...

lol...naim mahn...ur totally right...the Idian community is way too obsessed with engineering and medical studies for its own good! i never understood what the hype is all about myself and i still dont... which is why i opted to pursue a career in architecture.

some may argue that architecture is another form of engineering but i beg to differ. It is way more design oriented and takes a lot of creativity, unlike mainstream engg.

but anywaynaim, good blog... enjoyed reading that. good luck with mass communications. i'm sure you'll do well because you chose what u wanted to be, according to your talents(which i hope meets the MC requiremnts... hehe..lol)

later,
ann

Unknown said...

DUDE!!!...that was kickass man

Elita Karim said...

not that i want to take the credit or anything.. but i think dad kinda let you to go for mass comm coz umm.... ahem.. ur older sis is basically working in media and also helped convince daddy dearest:)